Sunday, November 11, 2007

Saturday summary

Sunday, November 11

Yesterday was a college football Saturday. Tennessee handily defeated Arkansas, and now, despite their terrible early start, they have a chance to be the SEC East champions. That is, if they beat Kentucky and Vanderbilt in the weeks ahead.

Other scores of note: Michigan lost to Wisconsin, and Illinois defeated Ohio State, in a grand upset.

I can scarcely believe I've become a football fan, but I have. It's actually quite an interesting game -- and watching the athleticism of some of the players never hurts!

Otherwise we did little else -- except visit Home Depot and finally, finally get my dahlia tubers in storage. I also helped C edit an article for his company newsletter while the runners ran, the kickers kicked, and the announcers talked. Oh, and I finished reading a P.D. James mystery, Innocent Blood. Good book, about an adoptee who learns that her birth mother was a murderess.

So far, retirement has been good. I left another job once, teaching, and I felt a tremendous grief when I did. This time, I expected to feel a similar grief, but I did not. I have not shed a tear, and everyday, I think, "Thank goodness I don't have to make that long drive (33 miles) today!" Exactly what opportunities lie ahead for me remains to be seen. I do miss certain people, but not the job itself.

1 comment:

Melba said...

Yay Tennessee...I'm glad the won! Also glad you're enjoying retirement so far and can't wait to hear more tales from the road you're on!